Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sidney Padua Portrait


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Earlier this week, my wife's family dog of almost 14 years passed away. For the past year my mother-in-law who has been out of the country, so she asked us to watch her two dogs, Abbey and Sidney.

I, myself, have only known Sid for about 9 years. She was always there, lending a watchful eye. She witnessed the beginning of my relationship with my wife and thankfully she was also there for our wedding.

My wife and I often randomly trade memories whenever they occur to us during the course of the day. We also find faint little reminders of Sidney all around the house that always causes us to pause and take a moment.

The thing about training dogs is that they take comfort in routine. Its in their blood. But routines also make lasting impressions on humans too. Whenever we leave the house, we always give cookies to the all the girls. How many days later, I have to make a conscious effort to take one less cookie. And when we come home, we still find our eyes going to that one spot we knew Sidney would be, anxiously waiting our arrival.

Its hard, having a dog. I don't suggest it to everyone, especially those weak of heart. I have always regarded myself as a dog person, which is why dogs can always be found in my artwork. In reality, Sidney was my first dog. I am still unable to fathom how something so small and sweet can take and reciprocate so much of your time, love and attention. But it is worth it.

Sidney was and will forever be in my eyes, the greatest dog. We love you and miss you Sid.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear the sad news. Sid will be in my prayers. We almost got a french bull terier last week.
Its too sad for me when dogs pass on.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

a beautiful tribute. My condolences

10:30 PM  
Blogger steve said...

I'm so sorry to read this, but this is a beautiful tribute. Sid reminds me very much of the dog I grew up, who passed away at 14--looks almost identical (a lasha apso and cocker spaniel mix).

5:18 PM  
Blogger Roberta said...

I'm so sorry...I also had this experience this week. I know your hearts are hurting.

10:44 PM  
Blogger INDIGENE said...

Beautiful tribute! It's always horrific losing a pet! Lovely imagery.

www.indigeneartforms.blogspot.com

8:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home